Phase One: The Case Review
The Case Review is required for all new patients. The Case Review process will save you time and money in the long run by identifying the root cause of your condition.
Instead of using the trial and error process, I gather all the information I need up front. Discovering patterns before taking action is the key to developing an effective health solution.
The Case Review enables us to more accurately estimate how long your treatment program will last, what it will include and how much it will cost. It gives you the chance to ask any questions you may have about your condition and what you should expect.
The Case Review Process includes two steps:
Step 1: Evaluation
- Initial Phone Conversation
- Health Evaluation Forms
- Diet and Lifestyle Review
- Body Systems Assessment
Step 2: Wellness Plan
- In-person Consultation to review results
- Create a solution including diet, supplements and lifestyle changes
- Recommendations for further testing if necessary.
Case Review Step 1:
During this 30-minute phone/video appointment (Skype or FaceTime), I will interview you to determine which lab tests you need based on your symptoms and medical history.
This appointment ensures that I understand all the factors affecting your health. I’ll determine a target or root cause of your symptoms. Knowing this information ahead of time will prevent the dreaded trial and error cycle and will save you money in the long run.
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including anemia, infections; hypoglycemia, liver and kidney issues, plus thyroid and adrenal problems. The test helps structure and focus your wellness plan to get the best results.
*You can usually get this blood test at your annual check-up with your primary care doctor. It can be covered by insurance or you can order it yourself through local labs. OpenDraw is a great resource in Austin. (If you have not had labs within 12 months, please wait until our consultation. I can let you know which labs will be most useful.)
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease, and gluten sensitivity.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria.
- Urine organic acids testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, fungal overgrowth, problems metabolizing fat or carbohydrate, B-vitamin status, methylation issues, detoxification capacity, oxidative stress, and neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Urine hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status.
If you have insurance, I will work with you to see if we can get any relevant lab work done through your physician. I often write letters for patients to bring to their doctors explaining why I think a certain test will be helpful and provide peer-reviewed research to support this request.
Health Evaluation Forms
I will provide you with health evaluation forms to fill-out. Please devote ample time to completing the forms. They are vital in helping me understand your condition.
This paperwork includes:
- A detailed health and medical history questionnaire
- A survey of your chief complaints and most important health goals
- An assessment of your most troubling and frequently experienced symptoms
- A diet survey and questionnaire
- A survey of your current supplements and medications
Diet and Lifestyle Review
I will create dietary guidelines for you to follow after our initial discussion. It is critical that you implement the 30-day Reset diet to the best of your ability. When we check-in at your next appointment, your diet experience will be equally as important as the lab results.
Case Review Step 2: Plan
Once I’ve received your lab results and you’ve completed the health evaluation paperwork, we’ll move on to Step 2 of the Case Review process. This usually occurs about 45-60 days after the Evaluation, because some of the labs can take up to 4 weeks to deliver the results.
A Report of Findings
I’ll review the results from the labs and your paperwork. I’ll create A Report of Findings which details your wellness strategy:
- A summary of the underlying patterns that are contributing to your symptoms.
- An outline of the suggested plan, including dietary, supplement and lifestyle recommendations.
- Recommendations for further testing if necessary