This appointment ensures that I understand all the factors affecting your health. Our goal is to discover what the root cause of your symptoms may be. Knowing this information obtained from the Health Evaluation Forms and The Initial Consult ahead of time will prevent the dreaded “trial and error cycle” and will save you money in the long run.
During this 30-minute appointment, I we will also determine which lab tests you need based on your symptoms and medical history.
Recommended testing may include:
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including anemia, infections; hypoglycemia, liver and kidney issues, plus thyroid and adrenal problems. The test helps structure and focus your wellness plan to get the best results. Learn more about Functional Blood Chemistry Analysis here.
*You can usually get this blood test at your annual check-up with your primary care doctor. It can be covered by insurance or you can order it yourself through local labs. DirectLabs is a great resource in Austin. (If you have not had labs within 12 months, please wait until our consultation. I can let you know which labs will be most useful.)
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease, and gluten sensitivity.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria.
- Urine organic acids testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, fungal overgrowth, problems metabolizing fat or carbohydrate, B-vitamin status, methylation issues, detoxification capacity, oxidative stress, and neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Urine or salivia hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status. Learn more about Functional Hormone Analysis here.
If you have insurance, I will work with you to see if we can get any relevant lab work done through your physician. I often write letters for patients to bring to their doctors explaining why I think a certain test will be helpful and provide peer-reviewed research to support this request.
Diet and Lifestyle Review
I will create dietary guidelines for you to follow after our initial discussion. It is critical that you implement the dietary advice that I provide you with to the best of your ability. When we check-in at your next appointment, your diet experience will be equally as important as the lab results.